Tuesday, June 1, 2021

{Forget Already} Lost [Main Fiction] (Chapter 8)

I almost didn't write this for awhile, but then when I started, I couldn't stop. Man, my fingers hurt! Lol. I hope you all enjoy the next chapter. I tried to make it a bit longer than the last one to make up for it!

Warnings: Light cursing (if that bothers you)

---------------

----------------------

----------------------------------

--------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------

 Silen's mom, after sobbing a little more in my arms, finally took me to her house. Or at least, where a house should be. It was an empty lot, white picket fence on all sides, surrounded by regular suburbia. I stood at the side walk dumbfounded. When I was little, I lived three blocks away, I've been to his house; it should be here in front of me, but it's not! Christine must have noticed that I wasn't following her.

"It's a little different now, but it's still home. It's still here, I promise."

"What do you mean by that?" I sputter out, before realizing how rude that sounded."How is it still here if I can't see it?" I try again.

"Ohhhh, that! It took me awhile to figure it out too, but it's simple!" she took my hand daintily, leading me across the strange lawn. Over time, step by step, the brazen dirt became a lawn that shimmered with morning dew. As we walked, it became apparent that we were going much further than I expected. In fact, what should have been a few feet, at max, became an open field with magenta soil splotched with what looked like regular grass. Even the sky was a muted blue, and the little clouds had a chalk-like look to them. If you asked me it was ugly. Though it's a moot point to even mention it out loud. Well, considering this world is not the real one. I have to remind myself this is real right now. Only right now.

After some time of walking, my feet begin to walk onto a cobble path. Looking up I noticed that it led to a small blue cottage. At this point, Silen's mom started to pick up the pace, practically sprinting down the path. It seemed that she knew we were almost there.

I was worried about Silen. I'm sure Miss Christine was worried about him too. He was always so skittish and cried a lot as a younger kid. I can't imagine him being alone in some other weird world like this one. That being said, I thought as I was ushered into the doorway, he lives here with his mom? I wish I had the brainpower to understand the how's and why's of this world, but I just can't, not right now. It would only serve to give me a headache at this point.

We weren't alone in the house. I don't think Christine even noticed at this point, but it didn't take her long. A person was sitting at the table, in darkness, but almost completely in view from the door. I didn't want to take my scythe out, so I called out to the person," Hey! Who's there?" I felt stupid for having such little words to say, but I didn't want to feel like an ass later.

"There's someone here?" Silen's mom confirmed, seemingly relaxed at the intrusion, almost like she was expecting someone, I couldn't tell "Come on, sweetie, don't sit in the dark, it'll hurt your eyes."

"Oh alright." The voice, coming from the kitchen table groaned " I was just trying to have a cool- never mind." the voice grumbled, sounding embarrassed. Then the light in the kitchen came on.

It was a boy my age. His bright hair and eyes were what drew me towards him almost immediately: they were both an unnatural forest green, as striking as the flush that quickly grew on his face. Oh. He was blushing. I don't know why he was doing that.

"Ah, I see that you might have to be reintroduced, well maybe." Christine brightly spoke, completely ignorant to the fact that there was an awkward moment happening right now. "Diedre, I'm sure you are having trouble remembering him, but that's ok! This boy, is-"

"Diedre?!?" He ran up to me, eyes starting to understand," You- why are you here? You...I couldn't find you, and everyone left me behind. After Betha and Silen just left...you- where did you go?? I looked everywhere!" Despair started to shake his features before he took a breath and composed himself. Miss Christine noticed his discomfort, finally, and gently took his hand from her position beside me.

"Girtin. It's okay now." She soothed, rubbing his hand before giving it a quick pat, "Diedre just had to go away for a while. Her mother took her to the city, but she's back now."

"You left a lot of shit behind, Diedre." The boy, now know to me as Girtin, swore. He stared straight into my eyes, trying to understand something in my expression. Did he know that I couldn't remember him?

"Girtin! I understand that you are going through somethings at home, but you should at least try to be nice to Diedre! She just got back!" Christine huffed, but looked like she understood.

It felt weird being talked about in front of you. Especially from people that you should know, but somehow don't. Girtin. I don't know why I can't remember you, but I'm sure you have a real good reason for what you're saying to me. Though it does kind of piss me off, being almost accused of being a terrible friend. But since I can't remember you, it makes sense. Are you even doing that though? Who am I really forgetting.

 Yes, I know I trust Miss Ona, but you I'm not sure. What were you even doing in her house? I decided to ask him, speaking for the first time in a while.

"How did you get in here anyway?" I ask, both of them looking at me simultaneously. Girtin looked amused, smirking at me.

"I have a key." He remarked smugly. "Ms.Ona trusts me." He pulls it out of his pocket, there are two other keys on it, and shakes it teasingly.

"Oh." I sigh, there goes my line of thought.

"Disappointed?" Girting smirks. Silen's mom smiles behind her hand.

"Kind of." I deadpan, suddenly bored of this. I could be finding Silen right now.

"Well kids, I think we've had enough time to reacquaint ourselves." Christine sighs lightly, almost fondly, looking at the children she loved as her own,"Girtin came to help me find Silen since...well you know." She sniffled.

"I'm a little confused." I pipe up,"Why did you act like you did when I saw you?"

"Ah, I was trying not to panic, I guess. It's just been so long since I've heard your voice sweetie." Ms. Ona sighs. "Girtin had already agreed, but I guess I had gotten all wound up again. Sorry, sweetie."

"I get it, sorry for bringing it up."

"Don't worry about it, sweetie." She smiles brightly," Two people looking for him is better than one!"

"Two- Girtin and me? You aren't coming?" I ask, feeling stupid again.

"Well, figured he'd wander back on his own. Ms. Ona wanted someone to stay here." Girtin provided, shrugging." We were about to swap when you got here." 

I nodded, it made sense. While Silen had the tendency to stay put when he was scared, he also was likely to wander around like a lost kid in a mall, till he made it to one of us.

Though, as I'm thinking about this, something is starting to bother me. I barely remembered Betha. I almost forgot Miss Ona. I remember bits and pieces about Silen, mostly including his scaredy cat nature. I don't remember Girtin at all. What the heck is wrong with my memory? I know it's been some time since I've seen all of them. I get that. But, these are people I used to think of as family! 

"Diedre....why do you have a scythe!?" Girtin sputtered, eyes widening in apparent fear.

"You have what?!?!" Ms. Ona squealed, grabbing Girtin's arm, almost causing him to fall over.

"I found it. I've been carrying it around because some weird voice told me to." I deadpanned, not letting my voice show off my confusion.

"A weird voice told you too?!" Girtin grimaced, grabbing my arms, beginning to shake me. "You know how fucking hard that is to believe?! Did it just drop out of the sky? OR did you find it in some weird shrine, begging you to take it?" His voice was starting to become a shout. He was starting shake, his eyes widening the longer he looked at it. "Ms. Ona it's the 'Felicity'. It's got to be!"

"Oh. My goodness, dear. What have you gotten yourself into?" Silen's mom shuddered into her hands, shaking her head. "How did you get a hold of that cursed blade?"

I looked to the people in front of me, one almost a complete stranger at this point, but both with the same expression on their faces: fear. Betha had the same expression when she realized. It made me rethink what I carried with me, but if I throw it away, what would happen? The voice from earlier acted like it was special. I hadn't seen anything thus far to confirm that, but everyone else keeps mentioning it so that's got to count for something. The more I learn about it, the more concerned I get. What if it fused to my hands. What if it made me hurt people? The fear I've been running from, denying all this time, finally caught up to me. What have I got myself into?

Oh. I'm on the floor now.

-

I look at you frowning. You did the right thing, pushing that other kid off him, but the teacher saw you. You got in trouble with her. Are you really ok? You know you can tell me what's wrong. You shrug my hand off you, mumbling that you are taking care of it. After waiting for your uncle, who never shows up, the adults at the office let you leave with me, my mother trailing behind wordlessly. She never asked what happened, she will later, but I think she understands. 

Silen was waiting with his mom, holding her hand, still teary eyed. I can hear her promising to wait for you, wanting to thank you again. We approach, my mother pulling Ms.Ona to the side, talking to her about what happened. Apparently, she didn't know much, but I didn't listen to them. You ask Silen if he's ok. You held Silen's hand as he cried, shrugging off his attempts to repay him, saying it was just his duty as his friend. That's was friends do for each other you say. I smile, grabbing Silen's other hand. I'm just glad he's alright. You promise that those kids wont hurt you again. I promise Silen the same, and assure him that Betha does too. We will protect you, Silen, I promise.

My mother tells us that it's time to go home, after all the school released you into her care. You need to go home. Silen sniffles one more time before being led away by his mother, walking hand in hand. I smile at the sight. You nod to me, then to my mother, who nods sagely back. This prompts a smile from me; you two never had much to say to each other. For so long, I thought you hated each other. But-XXXXXXXXX told me that some people are like that. That it was a "power play" or whatever that was. I sigh, holding mother's hand in one, and yours in the other, so you don't wander off.

It was nice. Mother led the way to your house, quietly responding to conversation, asking how you are doing in school and home. It was more than I'd heard her talk to you. You were talking so politely, it was like you were talking to a teacher. It was funny. I wish these times would last forever.

-----

Mother shakes me awake. We are going to town. She can't leave me here alone and she can't get Betha's family to watch me. What are we doing? Mother doesn't answer at first, thinking for a moment before responding, 'police station'. Why? What happened? Mother's blank expression folds into a sort of frown, I can't tell what she's really thinking.

He's lost, Mother says. Who? Who's lost? 

Silen. Silen's lost. They think they know, but we are going to help the police find him.

No. He's lost? No. He always finds his way home! He just...I had no answer. I felt myself go numb, grabbing my clothes, putting them on, brushing my teeth, combing my chin length hair. Mother stood at the door way, the taxi she called was waiting for us. A car. We are taking a car to town? Mother mumbles something about wanting to get there early, not wanting to waste a lot of time. Do you want Silen back, I asked her. He's a friend of yours, so I want to make sure he's ok. My heart sank. I want to cry already, fearing the worst.


I hope you are ok. Silen, please be ok. We'll put up posters! Go on tv! Whatever it takes, just so you come back to us.

----

-------

-----------

------------------

-------------------------

--------------------------------

Long chapter is long, but I tried to have more dialogue since that's a weak point for me. ;.;

Haha. I hope you all enjoyed it all the same. :)

 

---Chapter Navigation--

Chapter 7 (Linky) - Chapter 8  (you are here) --> Chapter 9 (Linky)

-----------------------------

 

 

Find me on the web~030

tumblr: 
  • forgottenheartache (official blog) 
    •  for those that can't see it! -  https://www.tumblr.com/blog/forgottenheartache
  •     whatami94 (personal-ish depression blog)
    • for those that can't see it! - https://www.tumblr.com/blog/whatami94
email: what.ami_94@yahoo.com 
twitter: @scaredygiraffe (rant/depression and like blog)
  • for those that can't see it! - https://twitter.com/scaredygiraffe 
Thank you all for the support!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment