Thursday, July 8, 2021

{Forget Already} A break would be nice [Main Fiction] (Chapter 13)

Hiya. Sorry for missing Tuesday.

Let's go see Betha, again, she would like to see that Silen's ok! Everything's going to work out, right? Everything's going to be ok.

 Warnings: PLEASE READ THE WARNINGS: 

brief self doubt, memory issues (at this point is normal. please don't read as gaslighting.), hostage, mild violence, possible concussion, attempted drowning, blood, nose bleed, out of body control (someone taking over your body), brief language

 

 

 ----------------

-----------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Girtin insisted on coming with me. There was no discussion about it; he just crossed his arms and without looking at me, started to walk down the sidewalk. Silen and I just looked to each other, the former staying behind with his mom, "grounded" for "running away". Silen's smile was fresh as a daisy, now clean and fed, the joy of our reunion easing his features. Miss Ona was putting something in my hand. She gripped my fingers around it before letting go. I looked down at the thing in my open hand : it was a cell phone. I sputter in shock at the device. Yes, I had one. I don't need her to give me one. I pad my jeans and jacket with my free hand, earning a confused look from Silen. Ms. Ona just laughed gently.

"It's yours for as long as you are in this world. I know you'll have need of it. You can talk to Silen or myself if you need us; or if you just want to talk to us. Girtin put everyone's number in earlier so you don't have to worry about it." Both Silen's and her gaze pleaded for me to be careful.

Silen's stronger gaze, not like the clouded, sightless one from the nightmare before, held mine for an eternity, making me think that he remembered everything. I gave him a questioning look, one that his mother could not honestly see; in more ways than one, he had changed, even if she didn't voice it. Finally noticing my discomfort, Silen laughed, smiling again. He was himself again. The awkward moment had passed and I had to think about why it started, with me drawing a blank. 

"Diedre." Silen finally spoke "Please stay safe. Don't talk to strangers; I know you don't need someone to tell you this. It's just...some of the people here are really scary. I'm not just saying that."

"Just be safe, sweetie." Ms. Ona agreed, smoothing my hair out with her hand. "Some people sacrificed parts of themselves to be here. I know you don't understand, but you will. Just try to not do something too dangerous."

-

I let my mind wander back to that while I took the long way back to the Mechan Forest. Girtin hadn't said a word for a while, which didn't bother me much. He usually wasn't that much of a talker, only speaking when he needed to. However looking back upon the last days, he's said a lot, much more than he used to. In those days, he'd use just a glance and posture to intimidate the other kids on the block that teased the rest of us. Biting my lip, I struggle to let go of the sinking feeling in my stomach about all this. As I let Girtin overtake me in my daze, my eyes focused on his back. I wondered how long I had been following him blindly. Not just here, in this afterlife of sorts, but back when we were kids. Why was it that I had this task? Why was it me, when he would be so much better suited to this?

I let this wave of self hatred wash over me. Just let it go, my little voice told me, the one I rarely listen to. I had to keep going to see the end of this. After all, regardless of how I feel about the task I've been given, my friends' happiness is on the line here. Even if they are truly dead to the "real" world, I have to let them have their peace. Maybe bringing everyone together, one last time, will allow everyone to pass on.

I sigh deeply to myself, closing my eyes, and finally running full into Girtin's back. The shock made me blink stupidly, wondering who the heck I ran into. After that wore off, the annoyed look Girtin gave me woke me up completely. I was 100% now! I don't need coffee ever again; the buzz of the shame forcing me to apologize gave me everything I needed. He just narrowed his eyes.

"You were slowing down. Diedre, what did I tell you about overworking yourself? You could've told me that you were tired." Girtin berates me gently, an annoyed expression transforming to one of worry. He just huffs, turning on his heels, then plopping himself on the side of the road on the less weedy part of the grass. He grabs some food out of his day pack, all the while patting the smoothed grass beside him, checking for ants. Girtin suddenly shoves a granola bar into my face the moment I sat down. I couldn't help but notice his emerald green eyes locked on the food, making sure I ate it. After a while he looked away, seemingly satisfied.

"I was thinking about getting there as soon as possible." I tell him, almost to myself, just so I can hear it out loud. "Something in the back of my head is urging me on. I keep thinking that means something bad is going to happen."

"Huh." Girtin says thoughtfully, "I guess that makes sense, but like don't worry about it too much. It's not like she'd let herself get corrupted. We just need to get rid of the thing holding her there, right?"

"Right." I agree, but I'm still worried. This doesn't escape his watch, always so aware of the emotions of the people around him.

"Hey! It's going to be fine! She just needs a little push, that's all. It's what she's always needed after all, even when we were little." He straightens up a little, a smirk on his face," Hey do you remember the time you and Betha banded together to make your mom a birthday cake?"

"Uh. No." I realize, feeling sad. That sounds like a good memory. His face scrunches up, realizing what he did, regretting it. Then his sorrow filled green eyes lighted up again, deciding on what he was going to do.

"It's a silly memory but I'm sorry that you don't have it. So, instead of freaking out about it, I'm going to tell you what I know." He coughed into his fist, dramatically. "So, Betha called me to her house; she told me she needed help moving something. Honestly, I had no idea what it was, but when I came in you were covered in flour. The cake was done, but like you were still covered in flour. You were so whiny about it too!"

"You kept saying you couldn't let your mom see and junk. How it would spoil the surprise. I didn't even know that it was her birthday, you know, your mom's. I didn't even think to ask. It was just so funny. Betha's mom then came in, asking how you were doing, and she like froze up; I think she was freaking out, but eventually she just led you to the bath."

"I don't remember how long it took, but the cake was done. All three of us held onto the cake and took it next door to your house. It wasn't super big or anything, you just didn't want it to drop, or something, I don't really know. Just when your mom opened the door to see the cake and you in Betha's clothes, she kinda blanked out. It was really weird. She kept staring at you, then the cake, then us. It was like she didn't know how to react or something. Eventually you started to realize that maybe she didn't like the cake or something, then you started crying. I think you were like eight, ok, just bear with me."

"Then your mom started to panic, pressing you into a hug. She just smooshed you into her shirt and wrapped her arms around you. She looked like she was freaking out a little; I had never seen her like that and I never did again. Your mom was always very strict wasn't she? I was scared of her, you know."

"What happened after that?" I asked, wanting to know more about the memory I couldn't place for the life of me.

"We had cake. There was five people there, so everyone got one." Girtin shrugged.

"Five?" I questioned, wondering where the other person came in.

"Oh, did I say that? I meant four. It was like: Betha, you, your mom, and myself; right four, my bad." Girtin stumbled over that explanation. It was weird. Did he really mess up that bad and forget how many people there were?

He didn't look at me as we walked on. This only made me more suspicious.

-

After a couple more hours of walking, we came upon a fork in the road. There was an old wooden sign in the grass. There was no way this could be seen from car, so was it for foot traffic? The words were fading, but something started to catch my eyes. Huh.

 

    -Left -  Mechan Forest: the great outdoors        -Right - Great Graces Orphanage: home grown kids.-

 

How weird. I wanted to ask Girtin about the sign, but he started to go on the left path. Further on I could see that the road was starting to turn into a dirt path. It was almost a straight shot into the forest, but there was a slight curve that prevented me from seeing the forest properly. Almost there. I had to tell myself that I was almost there.

-

-

After what seemed like eternity, we saw the forest opening. The green verdant grass of the regular forest finally gave way to the lush imperious lilac purples of the mechanical forest. Not like it had much of a choice in the matter, but hey that's how it worked here I suppose. I had been here before. I had to remember that, as it was only a couple of days ago? It was the truth. I was in such a rush to get out of here before. Well, it was raining then.

Girtin follows the path and I wordlessly walk behind him. I'm a little suspicious actually. Does he really know where we are going? A little devious thought comes to mind: let's see if he fails. I shake my head at the thought. I think I'd better ask, just to be sure.

"Girtin, you seem to know where we are going." I call ahead, he just keeps walking, not looking back at me.

"Somethings wrong." He huffs, starting to run. "I'm honing in on her location."

Oh. I almost don't want to ask. It's almost too convenient at this point. Betha being in trouble right when I think everything's going right, just unbelievable. It can't be helped; we have to find her.

-

We ran past her house. I pause to look at her door, on the ground, yards in front of her house ripped off its hinges. That only drives me to run faster. Racing against time and I knew it would be bad. She couldn't have done that, right? I couldn't even fathom, but I can't count anything out yet.

That bad feeling was quickly turning to dread the longer I followed Girtin. Too many horrible thoughts were racing in my mind. I knew there was nothing I could do right now, but I couldn't help but imagine. I let myself imagine the worst: that Betha was beyond help. We talked to her! She was fine. I know it.

Girtin and I finally found the source; two people standing at the lake. The were standing so still, it was sort of unnerving. The person closest, an adult, assuming male from the body frame, and the smaller one, was about Betha's size. It had to be her!

"Who's there?" the voice from the taller adult, a voice even and dead, called out without turning around. They stood deathly still, almost unnaturally. "Speak." They intoned.

"We are looking for our friend. She has orange hair and green eyes. She's about five foot three-"

"-Diedre. Please don't come closer!" Betha's voice squealed. I turned to Girtin, both our eyes widening in fear and understanding: Betha was being held hostage. What? My heart started to beat faster.

"No, by all means come closer." The adult droned evenly, not angry or happy, without any emotion at all. It felt like I was listening to a robot. "I have been sent by my Lady. She commanded me to come to meet you, Miss Reaper. I was to drag you out into the lake and smother you into the water. Lady Death wants to see if you can prevent that: a prophecy that the Princess had predicted."

"First however, my task required this body to kidnap a friend of yours, Miss Reaper. There was a note, but it seems to me that you did not read it, or else you would've had your scythe out, knowing that battle was inevitable. It is no matter; this girl had served her purpose.


-


-

I could feel the fear in Betha's eyes stabbing me, as they slowly turned around to face us. They had a wire around Betha's neck, loose enough so she could breathe, but the tension at their fingers looked dangerous. My mind played games with the knowledge that with the apparent strength of the adult in front of us, it would be child's play to slice through her neck. It didn't even have to be true, it was enough that I could imagine it.

Betha wasn't hurt. I couldn't see any wounds or bruises on her skin. That was a relief, but I had to focus on the one holding her hostage. It was so hard to focus on them. I had to focus on saving Betha. She was staying relatively calm, she hadn't "corrupted" as Girtin had put it earlier. Which was good. Ok.

"Miss Reaper. I have no need for this girl; I will give you her, unharmed, to go along with that boy you are traveling with. However, my only stipulation is that they leave us, perhaps to go to her home. I'm afraid I must apologize for the door. It got in the way; there were so many locks on it...and I was in a hurry. You understand, don't you miss?" The last bit was for Betha, I assumed, because she shuddered out a "yes".

"Now now, miss, if you mail a correspondence to my Mistress, she may in her grace send me to fix the door I broke in her name. I will not do it unless she commands it, much like I will not kill you or your green haired friend over there. No, the only one I am supposed to kill today is Miss Reaper. Be grateful that I am held by a leash today, miss." His dead eyes sparkled with something I could not place.

If Betha was terrified before, she was horrified now. Girtin beside me was fuming with anger, but all he could do was watch. I was growing angry too. He made it easy to save Betha; I just had to figure out how to avoid getting killed myself. I grit my teeth, thinking about what I should do. Yes, I had to agree. There was no way around it. I just had to survive.

"I will do it. Please just let Betha and Girtin go." I spat, trying to sound confident, but ending up somewhere between desperate and foolhardy. All the others could do was watch in fear, paling as I met the true reaper of this world. Fear kept Betha quiet, but I could see tears prickling out, but Girtin finally hit his breaking point.

"What the FUCK?!? Diedre you... can't do this...! This guy is-!"

"Ether." The montone intonation of the stranger rumbled across the lake bank. "My name is Ether. I am the butler of Lady Death, the Goddess of this world. The two children know of me, but you do not Miss Reaper. They should know the penalty of...rebellion towards my Mistress." Betha only paled, remembering what she told me about the ones that came before us. The energy of the space started to vibrate, making the water shake. The pylons in the water carrying electricity from who knows where shook and rattled, threatening to fall. Ether just looked down their nose at me.

"Please just go." I plead to Girtin. I know this is practically suicide; I can't just let my friends get punished for this. I just have to use my head and believe that I can survive this.

Wordlessly, Ether let Betha go, then pushed her to the ground in a light shove. She tumbled to the ground squealing as the did so. We rushed up to try to see if she was ok. I snap my head up, glaring at Ether.

"You didn't have to do that!" I spat. They stared at me, blank expression starting to really piss me off. Girtin gripped my jeans as a warning as he checked if Betha's leg caps were unharmed.

"Did I?" Ether asked evenly. There was no way they didn't know that it wasn't ok! "Mistress told me that I could be a little rough. It was ok to shove the children, my Lady told me." Ether intoned, adding little wiggle room in the reasoning. So they were the type to do whatever Death said, huh? To have specific parameters for this encounter, that was really bugging me. It was like Ether was a robot. They looked for the most part, human, tall, but human.

Then I saw in the corner of their eyes the tell tale signs of the Darkness. The purple liquid pooling at the edges of the eyes. It was just like how Silen was. Granted we came across Silen once he was much further gone, but they were close enough that it had to be the same thing. If this was the case, then I had to get the two of them, Girtin and Betha, out of here! This was a bomb just aching to explode. Just thinking about how paranoid Girtin was before and how bad Silen got made me want to run. If I did, Ether would cut us down or maybe just me. I had no way to tell for sure regardless of how much of a stickler he was for his commands. No doubt he would find a loophole. I couldn't put all my hope into that slim chance.

"Are you going to allow me to test you, Miss Reaper. I have already given you the end result. Are you ready to prove the prophecy wrong?" Ether questioned, locking eyes with mine. 

All he had was the wire. I just had to keep away long enough to get a hit in. I am not going to rely on the scythe like last time. There's no way I am going to rely on it taking over me again. What if I get hurt and Madness can't save me. This was most likely retaliation for helping me before. There's no way to know for sure.

I didn't have time to react before Ether lunged at me. I didn't get to see the whites of Girtin's eyes as he saw me fall to the ground. I knew he was scrambling to get away, fear overtaking him, as he started pulling Betha away from the two of us. I didn't even have time to think about how to summon my scythe. I just wanted to get away. My legs swung up, on instinct. As fear took hold of me, my Mother's stern lecture on "men" swarmed into my brain's auto pilot. She never told my young self that "he" would be trying to strangle me with a wire. She probably didn't want to scar me too soon, but that's a little late now, isn't it?

He wasn't holding down my arms. Ether was just so focused on the task of making me unconscious so he could just throw me into the water. For someone who looked like a push over, it was hard to throw him off. I had to focus to summon my scythe, it fizzling into existence after a small lag due to my distracted mind. I gripped the now more familiar weapon. Ether's eyes barely laid eyes on it.

"Are you going to use the Felicity on me, Miss?" Ether cooed,"Please by all means, do not hold back on me. Slice me in half. Chop me into pieces." A sick glimmer shone in his emotionless eyes and a slight smile came across their lips. I could barely even look at Ether's bandaged face. Even as the purple Darkness started to come out of his nose; I just wasn't expecting him to get a nose bleed. He barely seemed to notice the blood, a deep purple, started to pour down his and my shirt. There was seemingly no end to it. He lazily jammed a cloth up his nose before I could even mention it. Both hands were off my neck and the wire was loose: it was my chance!

I then tucked my legs under his stomach and kicked much taller guy straight into the water. His blood covering my face, jacket, and shirt was stinging. I had a feeling that this was probably a bad thing.

"Diedre!" Betha screamed,"Get it off your face! It's going to corrupt you. Ether's blood is Darkness essence. He did it on purpose!" Ether's face, soaked in the lake, swung to the sound of Betha's outburst. A dangerous aura blossomed from Ether's form. We could feel the humiliation from him; it was palpable in the air.

"Girl! I told you to run and hide in your house! I gave you a chance to live!" Ether's voice was reaching  pitches I didn't even know it could. It was almost a scream. Pulling the hair back from in front of his face, I could finally see emotion on it. Ether was beyond pissed. "You!" He turned to me, pointing aggressively,"You are going to have a proper duel with me! I am going to stun you and drown you in the lake, but before that I am going to get some blood from you."

Ether summoned a dark purple sabre in a flash of light, throwing the sheath behind him, not caring where it went. Before I could even react, he had turned to me, drenched and panting heavily. He rushed at me, the back-sword slicing my right arm, my weak side, drawing red blood and shredding my sleeves. I cried out, almost dropping my scythe, having summoned it unconsciously in the other's outburst. I kept backing up, trying in vain to stay away from the onslaught of the sword, almost a blur in my eyes. I couldn't focus. I couldn't get an attack in. Ether noticed this too, chuckling to himself.

"You are going to lose." He gasped out. I could feel the growing exhaustion in his voice. I had a feeling that he wasn't built to do this. He said that he was a butler, right? My mind grasped upon this as a lifeline: I just had to tire him out and I could win. I just had to not bleed out or die.

I tried using the snath like a pole arm and using it to block the blows. If only I could see which side it was going to come from. I was too slow and every time I turned to block one side of my body, the other side would be left open to be assaulted by his blade. There was no way I could do this. At this point, we were both visibly panting. I feel like at this point we are both going to pass out. I promised myself that I would start working out once I made it out alive. This was too much.

Ether decided that about the same time I did. With a growl he dropped his sabre, hands pummeling me into the water. The wounds on my arms leaking into the water, clouding my vision. I thrashed about, but I knew what little energy reserves I had would be used up soon. I felt the vibrations of the waters, coming from the direction of what I figured was the shore. Ether loosened one of his hands to deal with whatever that was, I guess it was Girtin or Betha. I couldn't push him back again, he still had a hand on my neck. I couldn't do it. My scythe was nowhere in reach and I had no idea where it went. He was distracted, but I couldn't do anything. I guess this was it.

Electricity surged through the waters. Ether was knocked back a couple of feet, landing face up in the water. Panting, I laid there wondering what just happened. I felt the two hands drag me to shore as I fizzled in and out of consciousness. I'm guessing, Girtin, since Betha and water is probably still a no go. She's always hated swimming. I exhale the breath I had been holding in.

"Diedre, Diedre, please be alright." Betha sobbed, against my chest.

"You've got to, you need to give her some space. Diedre can't breathe if you smother her." Girtin whimpered softly, not holding it together well at all.

"Help me up." I swallow my pain, whispering to whoever was listening. "Ether's still out there."

"NONONO!!!" Both of them cried, holding me down.

...

...

...

"Mistress...why did you....do that....?" Ether moaned from the water, floating, utterly destroyed. All of us shook at their words. Lady Death did that. She wasn't even here!

"I was tired of your poor display, fool." the same woman's voice from before, hissed out. "Do not doubt me, idiot." Where was the voice coming from? It sounded like she was close, really close. I lifted myself up, slowly as to not aggravate my injuries or the other two on the shore with me. 

"Yes, my Lady." Ether dutifully replied, whimpering a little.

"Diedre." Lady Death's voice called out, I looked around for the source, again. Betha jumping a little noticing that I was sitting up. I tried to ignore her panicked expression. I had to know where this was coming from. I could hear the woman sigh in displeasure. "The body: Ether. I am speaking through my servant, Ether. Look over here." 

"Nope." I lay back down. "What you tell me, I can lay down for; I'm exhausted."

"Listen however you like, it does not make much of a difference to me. What you will listen to is my admonishments, child."

"Am I in trouble?" I tease, Girtin hissing at that. Their shocked faces almost tearing me out of the false bravado I've sunk into. Well almost. In truth I was panicking, but it seemed like I was taking a page out of Girtin's book this time. Normally he would be the one to do stupid shit like this.

"You think this is over, right? That you're done now that your friends are safe. Well you're wrong. You are not done until I say so. Diedre, you are going to fully complete your scythe weather you like it or not. You are not my guest here; you are my prisoner, my weapon. Much like your little friends here....they are the collateral. It is not just your 'life' on the line, but theirs as well."

"What's the point of trying to kill me then? If I'm so important, then why sic Ether on me?"

"Are you seriously asking me that, after all I've told you thus far? Well then if you are going to make me spell it out for you, then fine. I AM TESTING YOU. YOU BARELY PASSED. I hope that was a wake up call, maybe, in your little brain that you are WEAK." Lady Death spat. Her frustration was causing Ether's body to make little waves on the water. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

"What am I supposed to do?" I roll my eyes. I was getting real tired of being talked down to from a lady I've never even seen at this point. She always was in the shadows and even now, she was speaking through someone else.

"YOUR JOB!" Death screamed. Her voice reverberated over the lake, shaking the pylons like an earthquake. Then she went silent. We all waited for her to start speaking again, but that didn't happen.

Ether's body suddenly jolted to life. He turned to us, his blank expression was back, and he regarded us with little interest. We just blinked up at him from the shore, unsure if we needed to start running or not. He just kept looking at us. Then he turned away, walking then swimming towards the opposite shore. Where was he going? I must have said that out loud, because Betha turned to answer me.

"Lady Death's castle is that way." She told me softly, grasping my hand and rubbing her fingers over my knuckles. "No doubt she would want them to return to the castle." Giritin nodded in agreement. He stood up, reaching out for me.

"We have to get out of here. Diedre is injured, again, and will need to recover."

"How did you recover the first time? Weren't you injured when Silen was hurt?" Betha piped up, looking at me. I couldn't meet her gaze. Girtin looked like he wanted an answer too.

"Magic???" I try, waving my fingers around, smiling lamely. They both have the same expression: utter disbelief. "Come on, guys. I don't know. It just happened. Maybe it'll happen again." I doubted that Madness would come back to heal me again. Especially considering I felt that this was retaliation for  her help before. Though, if it was, why didn't Death mention it? Maybe she didn't want me to know that she knew? Hm. I'm not going to worry about it.

-

Maybe I should take a break? I could try to get Betha to stay in the city with the rest of us. If I could figure out why she couldn't in the first place.


--

-------------

-----------------------------

------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've decided to leave this here. Sorry I missed the Tuesday Update! I'm going to post this and then go on Radio Silence/Hiatus for a while. I'll leave a post up explaining the situation....later. Just don't be surprised when this gets pulled down. Maybe I'll redo how the blog looks like again....who knows. I just need a break getting ready for the next arc. Wait Betha isn't resolved you say? Well you're right... just give me some time. Please and thank you. :)

 

At this point it's like: (lame character breakdown ahead)

Girtin - not even a tsundere anymore, everyday is one heart attack after another

Betha - wants to be mom friend ends up being damsel in distress

Silen -  Stepford smiler kid (tv tropes page) one moment then crybaby the next. doesn't even get a break

Miss Ona - I can't see the trauma if I can't see, right? (Bad joke plz dont hurt me)

Diedre- Not even sure what's going on. Wait what did you say about my friend? Here hold my flower.

    (Girtin- Are you sure you want me to hold your flower? Betha- I'll hold your flower babe, lol)

Ether - I keep waking up with weird bruises and it's over my pay grade to ask. Also what is emotion when I get hit for smiling (halp)

Lady Death- I just want a well traumatized weapon. Why is it so hard to get one. I guess I have to do everything myself. I've tried being nice. I've tried being mean. What the heck?

Miss Madness - I'm really tired of my sister bringing up my shit. Mayhaps a revolution is in order?? :P

----


---Chapter Navigation--

Chapter 12 (Linky) - Chapter 13 (you are here) --> Chapter 14 (Linky)

-----------------------------

 

Find me on the web~030

tumblr: 
  • forgottenheartache (official blog) 
    •  for those that can't see it! -  https://www.tumblr.com/blog/forgottenheartache
  •     whatami94 (personal-ish depression blog)
    • for those that can't see it! - https://www.tumblr.com/blog/whatami94
email: what.ami_94@yahoo.com 
twitter: @scaredygiraffe (rant/depression and like blog)
  • for those that can't see it! - https://twitter.com/scaredygiraffe 

Weebly website (calling card): LINKY

 Thank you all for the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment