Sunday, January 16, 2022

{Forget Already} The meaning of [Main Fiction] (Chapter 15)

 Warnings: brief altered state, more light cursing (:0)

Eh if anything I've glossed over much of the potentially bad stuff. May change later, but that will be reflected later.

-

---------

-------------------

-------------------------------

-----------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 I set out the next morning. I would liked to have stayed a couple of days longer, but in the end instinct won out. Something told me that I had to keep moving. There was really no reason for me to stay; as much as it hurt. Just finish the job and go home. I briefly think about this before moving further down the road.

Girtin had offered to come. He'd shyly mentioned that he'd started to learn how to drive and that he could take me around. Ms. Ona had laughed at that from the kitchen, making some food to take with me. Silen grinned and gleefully told me about the last time he'd ridden with Girtin and his mom. It didn't end well apparently; Girtin blushing with shame. Smiling at that, I had to gently let him down. Yes, I wanted him to come. Especially if I needed backup or something, but at the same time I couldn't let him, or anyone else, get hurt. Leaving by myself was my way of protecting them; doing what I was told to do, biting the bullet, was my way of protecting them.

Zoning back in, I keep walking down this dirt road, and hope I figure out where I'm supposed to go. The people I care about are accounted for, so it's not someone I know. Thinking back, did she even say it would be people I know? Does it even matter at this point? I guess it does, but I can't do anything about what that woman is thinking. I think it might be more productive right now to just do what she says.

I'm back at the sign from before: the one that points to the Mechan Forest and the orphanage. Staring at the sign, I notice that something's different. I can see there's a small handmade poster, drawn with what looks like crayon and marker. It's very childish. The poster has a lot of flowers on it. Squinting a little, I read what's on it:

Come to the Daffodil festival! The flowers come in all sorts of sizes; ones even tower over the city skyscrapers! It'll be a lovely time, so come over! Food and drink provided. Free admission! Artist on site takes commissions. Located in the fields next to Great Graces Orphanage.

I hadn't seen this when I came before. Glancing at the poster, it wasn't wet or dirty, and it looked like it was just put up less than a day ago. Huffing a little, feeling a little led on, I decide to follow the lead. I guess this is as good of a start as any.

-Don't you want to see what's over there?-

-Maybe it'll be interesting, but don't blame me if you get hurt.-

That little voice speaks to me in the back of my head. I want to rebel against it. After all who listens to weird spirits that think your mind is a message board. Right, I do. It's even more obvious to me now that I should head that way. 

-Be careful-

Another voice interjects my train of thought. The first voice felt feminine, but this one was male. I suppose I have a couple of ghost friends stalking me, again. It didn't sound/feel very familiar, at least from what I could tell. I wonder if the longer I'm here, the more I'll start collecting. But it doesn't seem very productive to dwell on it, so I'm just going to walk towards the orphanage.

It doesn't take me long to see the flowers. Giant flowers. Daffodils towering far above me. If I needed even more of a hint that I wasn't in Kansas anymore, this was another one of them. They peaked over the regular sized trees that provided the border between the Mechan forest and the plains the city rested upon. I guess I'm going the right way; just a feeling I guess. 

Getting closer I can see the fields of flowers, all yellow, all on one side of the road to my left. Further down I could see a mobile home, resting upon cement blocks, with a smaller identical building beside it. Was this the orphanage? It looks like a shack. 

Suddenly distracted, I start looking at a smaller clearing in the flower fields. Why was this cleared? I couldn't see for sure from this distance, but it looked like a little garden. It doesn't take long to confirm that. It looks well kept. All sorts of things are growing there: veggies and stuff. I'm a little impressed, but only because I haven't been able to grow anything in my life.

Growing a little bored, I try to see if I can 'sense' anything nearby. Closing my eyes, I turn in place, spinning slowly until I feel the urge to stop. I've never been able to do this for very long, stopping as soon as I feel even a little dizzy. My outstretched hand points to the trailer. I guess maybe someone does live there. I feel a little disappointed, seeing as that's a pretty obvious place to check. But, I remind myself, sometimes the best place to look is the obvious ones. Sure that line of thinking has its flaws but it's the best lead I've got right now.

The trailer home before me is a wide reddish violet building with a black metal roof. Wooden stairs to a porch lead up to the door. Flowers adorn the window boxes, giving the building an aura of warmth; it was like someone really wanted the building to become home. It wasn't perfect, I noticed as I walked closer, and up the stairs; the siding was falling off and the roof looked like it was caved in a little, like it had water damage. A small sign next to the door said,"Great Graces Orphanage". Good, I just confirmed what I had been thinking for a while; I was at the right place. I tried to feel for some malignant energy.  Feeling, strangely, nothing of note, I rang the door bell.

Once I rang it, I waited. I couldn't hear anything at first, as much as I waited to, there was just the feeling like I was being watched. Just once I felt like I had stood there long enough, and had started to turn around, the door swung open.

There stood a blond teenager in a blue turtle neck, staring at me. They had longish hair and a slim build, so I couldn't really tell if they were a boy or girl. Just the only thing that I could see that pointed to them being a boy was a strange name tag on their chest, reading: Christophe. Guessing guy.

"Can I help you, miss?" he evenly asked, not betraying any emotion, but his eyes were wide, and he griped his pants leg nervously. He kept glancing at my hair.

"Oh, I was just in the area, and got lost." I lie. "I'm new to the area and was wondering if you could give me some directions; maybe to a payphone or a gas station." He seemed to consider this information before nodding to himself.

"We have a phone inside, if you'd like to take a rest." He softly smiles; it looks pained.

"If that's ok?! I'd appreciate it!" I sputter, acting seemingly grateful. Honestly though, I am pretty tired. Sitting down for a bit does sound nice.

The tall boy steps out of the way to let me in the door. Walking in to the foyer, I look around for any strange occurrences. The room seems normal, if not cramped and kind of ugly. (I'm not sure what color the carpet is but it didn't start out this green.) To be nice: it was a dated look; I think Betha might like the furniture but not the color.

It was a stark contrast to the clean straight lines of Christophe and how he dressed. Nothing was really wrinkled and while the colors he wore kind of clashed (like I have any room to speak) it looked good on him. Just looking at him, he might've been Silen's age; Silen was the youngest of our friend group and was thirteen, when he was alive. Aside from that, I noticed idly how high his turtle neck went, but decided to ignore it; maybe he got cold in here? It was very cold in here, like the thermostat was broken stuck at freezing. I am suddenly grateful for my jacket.

"It's strange to see someone so far from the city. After everyone else left the orphanage it's just been Dainin and me. Well, the school closed down, then everyone moved, so it was a gradual thing." Christophe conversationally supplied, sounding more relaxed than he looked. "Oh, I forgot to actually introduce myself. It's Christophe." He smiles and holds out his hand.

"Diedre." I grasp his hand, before softly gasping.

-

It's so hot here. Sweltering. Running towards the attic, climbing the stairs. Where is he? There just so much fire. He can't be. Oh. No. No. It hurts. The fires overtake everything. It hurts! Everything hurts. My skin-

-

I shock back into my skin. Recoiling inside myself, I try to look back at him, but he refuses to meet my gaze for long.

"Ah, it's nice to meet you, Diedre!" He grins hollowly at me. Christophe sits down at small stool nearby, not getting in a hurry. "It's a lovely day today, isn't it? Have you seen the posters for the Daffodil Festival I put up?"

"Oh, I have! It was on a sign post, near town, right? But-" I hesitate a little," there's no one here? Is it still going on? Did I miss it? I was a little curious about it."

"Oh, it's fine. It happens every year like this! Heh. I try every year to get people to come and view the flowers with us, Dainin and I, but there's no one that ever comes. It's just such a shame, really." He sighs dramatically. Then suddenly, without much warning, he brightens," Oh, but would you stay with us? Surely you saw that super big one, it hasn't bloomed yet for some reason. Even though the daffodil is the first flower to bloom for spring...-" Christophe drifts off, his thinking distracting him from his surroundings. I take a glance at his hands on a whim, his fingers are caked with dirt. It clashes with the orderly appearance he has. Though at this point, what hasn't? His appearance, behaviors, all tell me a different story from what he's telling me; I would know since I've dealt with people and their secrets. 

Every second he gets, he glances at my hair, trying to do it when he thinks I'm not looking. I've dealt with people's stares at my stark red hair my entire life, and have a pretty good idea of what goes through their heads when they see it. Something about his way of speaking sets me on edge. I wish I could put my finger on it, but I like to think my intuition is pretty good on these things. Looking down at the hand that shook his, remembering the emotions I received from him. Pain. Heat. Suffering. I knew he was dead like the others, but seeing as I didn't know him, I had no idea why he was here. It would clear some things up if this was a true afterlife and/or purgatory. People don't have to know me to be in these. After all how stupid is that? I feel dumb for even thinking that was the case. 

Wait, I thought there was two people that lived here? I've seen Christophe, but where was Dainin? I'd spent so much time thinking about the kid in front of me, that I hadn't even noticed the one that was missing; how could I have missed him, it was so quiet in here.

"Would you like some lemonade?" Christophe suddenly asked, smiling brightly, getting up and going into another room before I could even respond. I'm starting to feel very suspicious of the blond teen. Just, at the same time, I'm trying to tell myself that I'm jumping to conclusions. Feeling a bit torn on the situation at a hole, I suppose it's best to wait it out and see.

Not even a couple minutes later, I have a cold glass of lemonade given to me by Christophe. He has another drink, darker in color, I guessed it was iced tea, in his hand. Try it, he says to me, Dainin loves my lemonade.

"You keep mentioning Dainin, but he hasn't come around, has he? Where he is?" I ask conversationally, stirring my lemonade with the straw provided. The ice clinks a little as I do so. Why ice, I wonder to myself, it's so cold in here?

"Oh, Dainin, Dainin's around doing chores. Right, he's cleaning up the attic, looking for something for the festival. I'm taking a break from making food, so that's my part of the thing, if you were wondering. If you stay later, we'll see him." He smiles widely at me, closing his eyes slightly. He tucks his long hair behind both of his ears, getting it out of his eyes.  There's no smell of food in this house. Nothing has been cooking in here. How can he just have finished anything? Unless everything was sandwiches or cold food, but really? The pit in my stomach grows a little, but I decide to ignore it; after all getting into trouble is my job now, I guess.

I take a long draw out of the straw, watching Christophe's reaction the entire time. Nothing happens immediately, but I have a think that'll change in a little. He reacts very little, but he does smile a little; I almost don't notice, but I do since I'm looking for it. We'll just have to see how I react to it.

"Actually you know, why don't we go say hi. You don't have to help or anything, but he's been at it for awhile. I think maybe he deserves a break, don't you think? It'd be nice if he met our guest." Christophe is speaking fast, too fast, almost to himself really. I just nod. I can't stop myself, it's just so easy to agree. Coldness enters my stomach, sobering me a little. So that's what it is. Narrowing my eyes I stand up, but say nothing else. I just have to wait.


-

She'll come and change everything. How can one person be so powerful? Remove the boundaries of lies and won't be afraid of fire. Who's that powerful? Only Lady Death is, why would she say that to us? I can't falter. I can't stop now that I've gone this far. I have to keep going.

I hate you. I hate you. You are the worst. Why did you have to come? Everything about you makes me sick! Especially your red hair! It's the color of fire, the color of death.

-

I flicker back to the stairs leading up to the attic. Christophe is talking to me.

"I've got to get you to Dainin, he'll get better, and you'll-you'll go away. It's so easy. Anyone can do it. We've got to do it. I hope this works. I'll sacrifice even you if that means everything can go back to the way it was before."

"So what's up with him? He sick or something?" Christophe rapidly turns around. He eyes are wide with fear, and his expression is leaning towards unhinged. I can hear his breathing pick up. "Come on, just tell me. I mean, while we're being honest, why don't you tell me what you're doing here? What did you do to the lemonade? It was a strong one, but you don't know how to make them. Fess up and I'll help you."

"Why?" He whispered. "Don't you just want to kill us? Get rid of us? She told you to reap our souls."

"Who told you that?! I'm just trying to get home!" I sputter. "Who said anything about killing anybody?" He doesn't even seem to consider that, but retorts back all the same:

"Oh don't lie to me, Miss Reaper. You know exactly what you're doing here! Why else would you come to some dumb flower festival? I only did that to lure people here, so Dainin and I could- no. No. No, you can't fool me! I'm not going to be tricked by you! Oh no." He snaps, quickly turning up to the ladder, and begins shouting at the top of his lungs," Dainin! She's here! Help me, please!"

"OK." A younger male voice calls, immediately after, not wasting a second. "I'm coming down, Christophe." the voice teases, seemingly ignorant of the severity of the situation. Giggles can be heard from above, growing in volume, getting closer and closer. I can see Christophe stiffening up a little. A boy with lime green hair and pink eyes pops his head over the railing in the attic. I can now see why Christophe is so unhinged about all this: Dainin does not look well. He is extremely pale in the face, and I can see the streaks of purple on his cheeks, running in tear tracks down his face. A smile much too wide is on his face, widening further once he looks at me.

"You brought her, Christophe, oh good job! I did say for her to be in the attic with me, since that's where all my tools are, but it's ok! I forgive you! You'll just have to make it up to me later." I could see Christophe shake in front of me, but nodding stiffly at that.

"Yes, she's here." He turns back to me, his expression is one of pain. Biting his lip a little, he calls back: "But, she can help us. She broke through the hypnotism so easily and can't be poisoned. I think, she could put in a good word with her, and we'll be-" His pleas are broken by Dainin's laughter. I'm a little dumbfounded as well, but I look back up to Dainin.

"Why do you believe her? She was sent here to kill us. She told us what would happen. You were there, Christophe, don't tell me you suddenly don't believer her of all people."

"I- I just can't do it!" Christophe's voice cracks with emotion, hands turning white from gripping them so tightly. "I can't kill her...I can't let you become a murderer...-" 

"-again. YOU can't let me become a murderer again. How pathetic! Didn't you say you were going to protect me?" Suddenly he's in front of us, sitting on the ladder. I take a step back, the malevolent energy radiating off of him. "You are such a weakling, Christophe. I can't believe you wont do it. Maybe I should let you get what's coming to you! Trust her! Fine, enjoy your new forever friend, Christophe. Maybe your final sacrifice will be the one that will bring you to the heavens." He points to us, his hollow eyes a contrast to his bold words, and smiles wide.

The room goes black and Dainin laughs, his weird shuddering laugh echoing around us. He laughs and laughs. 

-

We are on the grass outside, Christophe and I. Without much warning he runs to the door of the trailer, grabbing the handle, before screaming, falling back onto the hard wooden porch. I race over to him. He is grasping his hand with the other at with such a force like he's suddenly afraid of it. The hand is burned, severely. Christophe is instantly in tears, almost inconsolable, with rapid panting breaths. He's in shock. 

I can't do anything about this. What am I supposed to do about this? It happened so fast. I suppose I should get Christophe out of the area before he passes out or anything. Something tells me he's already done that, considering how quiet he's being. I take a long look at him beside me, low and behold, already on the ground without much fanfare.

I should just leave him here, but I can't. Looking at the palms of his hands makes me sick to my stomach. Something in me feels bad for how the last, by the time on my phone, twenty minutes have gone. I internally grimace at the short amount of time it took for this to go to crap. Melodramatic really but I am dealing with teenagers; not that I have any room to talk shit though, I remind myself bitterly.

I quickly look up the nearest hospital on the phone; somehow it has internet? The webpage has only one result: Holy Hope Hospital. Just it looks too far and also shut down. Just like everything else around here. Great. I mean, he is dead, but that looked like it hurt.

Well, I could call Girtin.

-

-----

------------------

-------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Welcome to the new year. :0

Oh boy do I hate it. :))))

But you have to keep going! Sorry it was short, might come back and do some editing later. I'm getting tired of looking at this in my drafts, and so for now please accept. :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=- 

 

---Chapter Navigation--

Chapter 14 (Linky) - Chapter 15 (you are here) --> Chapter 16 (Linky)

-----------------------------

 

Find me on the web~030

tumblr: 
  • forgottenheartache (official blog) 
    •  for those that can't see it! -  https://www.tumblr.com/blog/forgottenheartache
  •     whatami94 (personal-ish depression blog)
    • for those that can't see it! - https://www.tumblr.com/blog/whatami94
email: what.ami_94@yahoo.com 
twitter: @scaredygiraffe (rant/depression and like blog)
  • for those that can't see it! - https://twitter.com/scaredygiraffe 

Weebly website (calling card): LINKY

 Thank you all for the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment