Saturday, March 27, 2021

[Forget Already] Respite (Chapter 4) {Main Fiction}

Sorry for the long break! I hope you enjoy the chapter!

X)

-
--
---
----
-----
---------
"Who are you? Are you another spy?" an extremely distrustful voice behind the door accused.

The voice was feminine and brisk; I guessed that she could be my age, but the rest of her I could only guess as it was hidden behind that thick door. "Please let me in!, I beg, not caring how I sounded at this point. "The storm is getting closer!" I try to put all the urgency of the situation in my voice.

"How do I know its not 'her' I'm talking to?" the voice pondered, sounding by all accounts very irritated. I was getting close to the end of my patience too. How am I supposed to prove who I am and who I'm not? Does she even realize that my life is in danger right now? What am I going to do if she decides I'm not making the cut? Just walk right out into the rain? Oh - the scythe. Backpedaling mentally, I struggle to think of a way out of this. I can only hope that maybe its just the scythe holding her back from letting me in. Perhaps if I suggest, out of an act of goodwill towards her, I leave it at the door, she would just do just that. I try again, " I can't prove that I'm not whomever you think I am. I don't even know who I'm not supposed to be, anyway. It's just the storm is almost upon us, and I know it looks bad that I have this weapon. I was just told to carry it around; it's not even mine! I don't even know how to use this thing! I don't really feel like dying today, so could we come to an agreement? I leave the scythe out on the porch, here, and you let me in, just until the storm passes. I'll be out of your hair; then you'll never see me again, and I'll be on my way." I took a breath; I hoped she was considering it, but I had no way to tell for sure.

--
Finally I heard a dejected sigh from behind the door. I began to hope for the best as she started to speak again:" Alright. You can come in." I can't say I wasn't surprised; after all that fight she'll just 'let' me in? So I waited at the door as she slammed it shut, and began to unlock the door.

The door was quickly swung open, leaving me stunned, but grateful considering my circumstances. A young woman, about my height, and I guessed right, my age, stood aloft before me. As I was hurried in, I couldn't help the feeling of deja vu, as she hurriedly locked the door as soon as I entered.  I barely have time enough to lean my weapon against the wall. Which is weird considering her previous hesitation for the blade. Once my had lay it down, I start to look at my surroundings: a living room. Everything in the room is purple. The girl, who stares at me with judgmental concern, stiffly drags me to the sofa. The shock of the room, which is a really interesting shade of lavender, is slowly starting to wear off. I felt a bit like a rag doll, annoyance shimmering below. She turned her back to me and walked to another room; I assume, from the sounds I start to hear, is the kitchen. Surely, she just wants me to get out. As long as the rain keeps coming down, I’m staying put. 

“I was just putting on some tea. I have just enough. Lucky you; I wasn’t expecting company.” I didn’t even see her come in; I heard the cups rattle on the tray she was holding first. My head darts up, hair flipping out of my face. She smirks as she sets the tray on the coffee table, delicately setting each item down, arranging them to her liking. 

“Ah, thank you. I don’t mean to impose on your hospitality.” She smiles at that. It looks like she wants to laugh at me. I have an itch at the back of my mind that’s telling me something, but I put it aside. I want to ask her a couple of things. I want to ask her why she lives out here in such a secluded and dangerous place. She smirks, as if she can hear my thoughts. 

“I’m researching the water here. I left the city because of some trouble with my legs, and this just keeps me busy.” I hadn’t noticed. I tried to lock eyes with her, in order to resist the urge to look at her legs. She sighs, before continuing,” It was an accident. My doctor had to amputate below both the knees; I wear prosthesis. You can look, you know, I appreciate you trying to be polite.” She lifted her short apron just enough so that I could see. Like she said, there’s some kind of prosthesis: a cup of hard plastic surrounding her knee with a rod ending in a shoe. I was trying to not seem rude and mention the obvious earlier. I try to politely glance at them before shifting the conversation.  

“Why are you looking into the water?” 

“Take a look at the tea you are drinking. What color would you say that is?” Dumbfounded, I look down at the white colored mug I had been given earlier, without me noticing. 

“It’s a – purple? Why is it purple? Is it safe to drink?” I sputter in shock. She giggles politely and I wonder if this is the usual reaction. 

“Yes, very much so.” She smiled, teasingly. “I have been here for quite some time, and I haven’t had any adverse side effects. It’s water but just purple. I thought it would be easy to find the answers. I asked around before I left the city, but no one cared enough to look into it. I guess it’s normal here; much like your scythe. It’s a bit unusual to me though, and I’d like to know why you have it.” There it is: what this was really all about. What she wanted more than anything to know, and the only reason she even really let me in, I guess. 

“I just found it. I’ve only had it for less than a day.” It was the truth. I don’t know how much more information I can give her. 

“Is that it?” Her eyes grow colder, but the smile remains as she continues, “That isn’t something you just ‘find’. That’s the ‘Felicity’ isn't it?” The thing had a name? I turn my head to check, but it seemed like that confirmed something to the girl. “You really don’t know, do you? Be honest with me.” 

“I -” my throat seized; I sipped my tea before answering. “I woke up with it. I was at my apartment, took a nap, and I woke somewhere that wasn’t my apartment. Maybe I was kidnapped or something? I had a killer headache, but when I picked it up it went away. It sounds crazy. I don’t even know why I’m even telling you this.” It does sound stupid. If only that wasn’t the only thing I could remember. I see her eyes peer at me from under her bangs. She sighs, then straightens out her hair, and sits up straight in her chair. She sets her eyes on me, causing me to squirm a little bit. 

“I’m not sure I believe you, but even if you are telling the truth, I think we need to take a step back. I haven’t been entirely transparent with you. I think-” she takes a sip of her tea, and looks thoughtfully at me, before continuing, “- I need to tell you what I know first; starting with my identity, then I will tell you what I know.” I stare at her. Who is she and what is she going on about? It’s not that hard; I just blacked out, I used to do it all the time as a kid, and woke up in a weird place. I have to admit, it seems like she might have something to tell me about that blade. It has to be connected to this somehow. 

“You haven’t changed a bit. Do you remember me?” She starts, and my blood turns to ice. “I guess not considering your reaction. It has been a while.” 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about-” 

“Diedre. I know it’s been hard. Everyone we grew up with is gone; ever since you moved to the city.” 

“You-” 

“It’s me: Betha. I missed you.” 

I felt even more cold than before. I put my hand on the couch and lean heavily into it, bracing myself against it. Betha? It couldn’t be you! You are dead! I can’t control my breathing. I can’t even look at her. 

The cool hand of my dead friend against my cheek and the warmth of the woolen sofa are all I could feel before I closed my eyes.

 

-

--

---

-----

--------

So that's that part. We finally got to a part that is going to screw up some other fictions I have. I don't even know if I want to fix it right now, but I think I'm going to. So at this point, it should start to meet up with "Betha's fear of cars". Does she seem different? Well, this chapter started life in 2017, if that helps. I changed some stuff about her. So, some of the bios might not match up too well. Again, I might not fix it...

 Thanks to anyone who remembers this blog. I appreciate all the support all these years. 

 

---Chapter Navigation--

Chapter 3 (Linky) - Chapter 4  (you are here) --> Chapter 5 (Linky)

 ----------------------------



Find me on the web~030

tumblr: 
  • forgottenheartache (official blog) 
    •  for those that can't see it! -  https://www.tumblr.com/blog/forgottenheartache
  •     whatami94 (personal-ish depression blog)
    • for those that can't see it! - https://www.tumblr.com/blog/whatami94
email: what.ami_94@yahoo.com 
twitter: @scaredygiraffe (rant/depression and like blog)
  • for those that can't see it! - https://twitter.com/scaredygiraffe 
Thank you all for the support!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment